Sunday, January 17, 2010

A Statement About the Golden Globes

Happy Award Season, everyone! I'm going to give live blogging the Golden Globes a shot this evening (while making chocolate chip cookies!), so... readysteadygo.

Thoughts before the show: How painful is the NBC pre-show? All I really had to see was Natalie Morales identify Samuel L. Jackson as "the bad guy" in Iron Man, and I knew we were in trouble. I'm currently taking bets on the number of Conan references, and could not be more excited about Ricky. Oh wait! It's starting...

*Ricky starts by slamming Steve Carell... woooo!
*The Office versus The Office. Glorious. Gervais can't decide which one he wants to promote more... Let's face it, no matter which one you watch, he's getting piles of money.
*NBC slam #1! Yessssssss.
*Masturbation jokes in the top half hour. Love it.
*"Let's get on with it before NBC replaces me with Jay Leno."
*Mo'nique gets the first award, and the first standing O. I guess this means the Oscar is hers to lose.
*Sofia Vergara and Matthew Fox?! Holy hot presenters, Batman!
*Toni Colette for the win! I think I'm doing really badly in the office pool at this point. I'm a little surprised it's not Lea Michele, to be honest... the Globes have a history of honoring longshot first-timers. And Toni is cute, but I'm tired of seeing her win things.
...aaaaaaand we're at the first commercial break. So far, so... boring?
PS- loving Evangeline Lilly in the L'Oreal commercials.
*Jim Parsons and Lauren Graham presenting together? Ausiello's in HEAVEN.
*Did Jeremy Piven get plugs?!
*John Lithgow. For the record, I have officially lost the office pool. And when on EARTH is NPH going to get a little love? I mean, for realsies. (However, Lithgow does know how to give a speech)
*Paul McCartney is a rock star-- in the "what a cool mo'fo" kinda way. Yay UP!
*Ohhhhh, The Invention of Lying. Have I mentioned that Gervais is killing it?
*Felicity Huffman is very nervous. Almost as nervous as I am about her body mass. But she looks pretty.
*Well, I'll give them this... they know how to pair presenters. Jane Krakowski and NPH! Woot!
*What is on Michael C. Hall's head? AND WHY DID HE JUST BEAT JON HAMM?? I really might stop watching.
*What is on January Jone's head? Perhaps we'll have themed winners (pleasepleaseplease?). NO. Juliana Marguiles. Who is gorgeous and whom we love. But why am I doing so badly at this?!
*Nice slam JM. 10:00 drama indeed.
*Yes, Gervais just called out McCartney on his divorce settlement. Yikes.
*I really have nothing to say about Aguilera and Cher. For serious.
*Yay Michael Giacchino. Not just because you're the first one I got right, but because I love you.
*Grey Gardens. Thank God. I mean, yay me. And the producers need to stop talking now. No one cares.
*Tom Hanks, you gem. That's two for Alec Baldwin, who now really wishes he had bothered to show up.
*Ricky took off his tie. Time to party.
*How beautiful is Meryl Streep, btw? She didn't divide her own votes! But she won for Julie & Julia, which is the only award that movie is ever going to get. There are no words for how awesome she is.
*Where did Jessica Lange go? She used to be there. DREW BARRYMORE?! That's pretty cool... time for Lange to share the wealth. And her speech we just right.
*I don't heart Cameron Diaz. But I kind of heart her dress.
*Someone needs to take over in the control room, because I'm getting seasick.
*Woooo Jason Reitman. Way to be your own artist. Rockin' love to Clooney.
*JENNIFER GARNER ALERT. Could she be any prettier? Too bad Alec Baldwin won.
*Samuel L. introducing Sophia Loren = class on a stick
*Amy Poehler and Zachary Levi might be my new fave couple. MAD MEN. Thank God. Especially after they submitted "Shut the Door. Have a Seat." Also, I'm enjoying the GG orchestra take on A Beautiful Mine.
RANDOM QUESTION: If you had to judge these television shows, how would you do it? I mean, theoretically you're supposed to judge based on the one submitted episode. Does that mean you don't watch the shows in their entirety when they air? Or do you watch all of them so you can give them all a fair shake? Or just watch the ones you like... in which case, why bother even watching the screeners?
*Christophe Waltz. Brilliant. Nice speech.
*Time for the DeMille (aka, Time to Make Dinner). Scorsese honored by DeNiro and DiCaprio.
*I love Ricky and his pint. AND HE DID NOT JUST NAIL MEL GIBSON. OMG. OMG. OMG. James Cameron... I knew it was going to happen, but I kind of wish it hadn't. Whatever. And he just spoke in a made-up language. I'm over it.
*Yay Glee! Glee kids hooray!
*LOVE Reese Witherspoon's dress. Love it love it.
*The Hangover just won best musical or comedy. And that's why I love this show.
*I'm getting really tired of Chrysler "inviting me to stay tuned." For reals... I'm not going to RSVP.
*Sandra Bullock, woot.
*How much do we love RDJ? SO MUCH.
*Jeff Bridges for the win. And the Oscar race just got more interesting... and a lovely standing O.
*Really Avatar? Really. Whatever. I'm going to bed.

Well, that's a wrap. Sorry this has been sort of boring... Aside from Gervais himself I can't say it's been a spectacular show. Maybe if you're lucky, we'll have a post-wrap tomorrow.

1 comment:

Lady Liberty said...

1. Go see Avatar. In Imax 3-D if you can. You of ALL people can not miss out on a cinematic experience like this one. Film history in the making, kids. (You are allowed to guffaw for the first ten minutes (clumsy exposition... noted the second time I saw it...) but then you must surrender to the child-like wonder that only the very bizarre James Cameron can inspire.)

2. Michael C. Hall is battling cancer... possibly explaining your two points. I think Sundance has swallowed you WHOLE.

3. Amen to RDJ! "I really don't want to thank my wife because if it weren't for her I could be bussing tables at the Daily Grill right now... what a gig that'd be" and "I'm not going to thank [whatsisface] for restarting my career 12 times..." = priceless.


Love you and I am in rapture over your post! (or over the fact that you're posting!!! not like i can talk, but let's face it, who thought I would ever stick to this blogging thing anyway?)