Wednesday, September 16, 2009

A Statement About the First Few Days

And so, the first week in Park City has been peaceful, relaxing (believe it or not) and generally good, except for the tragic news from back home. We won't get into that, though. I'll just ask for your thoughts and prayers for the family, please.

Moving swiftly onward to lighter topics, yay Sundance! Yay Park City! Friday afternoon and Saturday were spent in the gracious company of Lady Liberty (whose infinite patience with trips to the Post Office and weird-start-up shopping will not soon be forgotten) and her family. Aunt Joan, Uncle Dave and the kids welcomed me to Utah with open arms, basement, and date book. Considering I had expected to be more-or-less on my own out here, finding family away from family was a wonderful surprise.

Sunday was spent preparing mentally for Monday (because, as we all know, I'm still not sure why I am doing this job) and then Monday was orientation, orientation, orientation!

My for those of you who haven't been kept abreast by Facebook, you should know that my commute was interminable. Like, down some stairs and a whole 25 steps. I honestly don't know how I'm going to survive. The introduction to Sundance was lovely and educational-- a lot of information without being too much. There was even time in the afternoon to sit down with my immediate supervisor for some database going-over (wa-hoo) and general introduction to the department.

And you know what? So far, so good. Having been really unconvinced I was going to know what I am doing in this thing, the first three days have told me that I am very, very prepared. Everything in all of my other jobs (all of them) has completely prepped me for what's to come. Well... except for the chaos. But you know how there are special library patrons we just do things for because it's easier than not? Same for journalists. You know how there's always the "special one" who needs help with everything? I've already been provided with a list of those. And I get to produce my own method for keeping materials organized and under control. Huzzah, people!!!

So there we are. Park City, Week 1 update. I'm not sure things are going to stay interesting enough for constant and dedicated updates, so we're going to get back to business talking nonsense about TV shows and movies next week (don't worry, casual updates included). So... yeah. There you go.





No comments: