Thursday, July 2, 2009

A Statement About the Desert Island Movies

In the previous post, I mentioned the Office watching I was doing with my grandmother, which very reasonably leads to today's post.

The other night we were watching the Fire episode, in which Ryan inadvertently causes the evacuation of the office when he burns his cheese pita. In his continuing display of Better Leadership Than Michael, Jim leads his coworkers in a rousing series of "Who Would You Do," "Desert Island," and a third game I'm not sure they actually get around to playing.

So last night at the dinner table, my grandmother initiated Desert Island Movies, which later turned into Desert Island TV series. Here are the movies:

NANKIPOO'S PICKS-
The Wizard of Oz
Gone with the Wind
African Queen
Roman Holiday
To Catch a Thief

BITSY'S PICKS-
The Incredibles
His Girl Friday
Pirates of the Caribbean at World's End
Gosford Park
Meet Me in St. Louis

It should also be known that should the Island gods allow a sixth "bonus" film, NP would pick Love, Actually.

A word about my choices (well, one choice specifically). Pirates of the Caribbean is a risky pick, not a particularly good movie, and in fact is fairly exhausting to watch. I knew there needed to be a place on my list for an epically long film (as is on NP's, see: GWTW), and the plain truth is that I could watch Pirates at World's End anytime, anywhere. I'm not proud of it, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

And now for the TV:

NANKIPOO'S PICKS-
MASH
MacGyver
Carol Burnett
Lost
The Best of Johnny Carson

BITSY'S PICKS-
Felicity
Alias
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Arrested Development
The Office (American)

Here there is a more obvious disparity between the generations, although Lost is certainly something I would have considered myself (it would be my "bonus sixth" probably, if only because it can be watched over and over without inducing boredom).

Now it's your turn! Come up with your five of each and post them (or not). It never hurts to be prepared for the Desert Island. In the immortal words of Sam Lewis, "you never know."

2 comments:

Wendy Pan said...

Okay, so I'm on my desert island, and it may come about that years pass, so I will have to include a Christmas movie - I like Love, Actually (my mother has good taste)and it will hold up well during my sojourn.
So, Movies:
Love, Actually
Gone With the Wind (hullo!)
The Little Princess (Shirley Temple version... I'll need an oldie but goodie!)
LOTR (the box set!)
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (M & X?)

TV:
MASH (again - good choice, Mum)
McGyver (I can't believe she didn't pick that)
LOST
Jeopardy (I'll want to keep my mind sharp)
NCIS (I could watch that 3 times a day, and I have!)

Wendy Pan said...

(sorry, Mum - you did pick McGyver - I missed it!)