Tuesday, April 21, 2009

A Statement About Buffy

I waited as long as I could, but I am pleased to report that I finally caved and started watching the inimitable Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

To be honest, I tried to resist for quite a while; traumatic high school memories kept me from admitting what appeared to others to be incontrovertible.  I am geek enough, dork enough, and ass-kicking-girl-loving enough to be as obsessed with Buffy as the rest.  

Of course it's ridiculous.  A sixteen year old petite blond charged with saving the world from vampires.  Naturally, her job as slayer is rather hard to hide, and she has just been kicked out of her school in LA when the show begins (she burned down the gym... you know, because there were vampires inside).  And it just so happens that her mother relocates them to Sunnydale, one of the most supernaturally active places in th country, if not the world.

It's all terribly convenient, so just get over it.  You're not watching for intrigue and surprising plot twists, you're watching for snappy dialogue, evolved characters, and David Boreanaz in all of his pre-Bones glory.  There's a larger mythology in the grand scheme of things to add originality of the Scooby Doo gang of characters, but I haven't yet gotten far enough with it to speak on it intellgently.

"Scooby Doo?" you ask.
"Scooby Doo," I nod sagely.
Buffy is like watching Scooby Doo with Daphne in charge.  She's got a Fred (some combination of her Watcher, Giles, and uber-hottie Angel), she's got a Shaggy (hapless Xander) and a Velma (pre-HIMYM Allyson Hannigan in full geektastic mode).  

Anyway, obviously it's not on TV anymore, but if you're not vampire/supernatural saturated from, you know, the entire pop-culture market, check it out on DVD.  I haven't made my final diagnosis yet, but the Buffster (as she is known in elite circles) may land next to Sydney Bristow amongst my favorite heroines.

No comments: