Tuesday, August 21, 2007

A Statement About the Merits of Battlestar Galactica

It should be noted that I consider myself an aficionado of short-run, prematurely cancelled television programming (hello, Arrested Development!), and Battlestar Galactica is the most recent addition to my roster of must-watches. After resisting for about a year, I finally caved and asked my local library to order it for their permanent collection, and was instantly hooked by the socio-political-SciFi-ness of it all. And here's the thing: the Sci-Fi-ness can be completely overlooked. In fact, it's not even the most important thing about the show. The most important thing is the overall statement being made about Cylons (identical machines that may or may not have human characteristics) as the symbolic terrorists, and the moral dilemma posed to the people and their treatment of these murderous (but just?) beings. Fascinating.
It should be noted that Battlestar Galactica has not been prematurely cancelled by a network, but producers recently announced that season 4 will be the last. I might have to write soon about the merits of shorter, better quality shows on TV.

2 comments:

Wendy Pan said...

Why isn't anyone reading your blog? I am fascinated by your observations - not to mention your eloquence. 1 4 3

Kate Jones said...

Thanks, but you have to be. You're my mom.